Always a favourite on the streets of Bangkok. Pad See Ew is loved for the exquisite texture of plump fresh rice noodles as much as for its slightly charred sweet and salty flavour. With the right ingredients and a couple of secret tricks, it's quick and easy to make at home.
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Greenmantle Valley Free Range Eggs
- Either 1 Large Bunch of Chinese Broccoli or 1 bunch of broccoli and 100g Baby Spinach leaves
- 500g Chicken or 350g Evergreen Vegetarian Soy Chicken
- Oil to stir fry
- 2 Tbsp Pearl River Bridge Dark Soy Sauce*
- 2 Tbsp Megachef Premium Oyster Sauce
- 2 Tsp Healthy Boy Thin Soy Sauce*
- 2 Tsp Datu Puti Vinegar
- 2 Tsp O-Cha Palm Sugar
Both the dark soy and thin soy are necessary for Pad See Ew sauce. The dark soy imparts a rich dark colour to the noodles, and contributes to the smoky charred character of Pad See Ew. The thin soy sauce is a seasoning sauce that gives the sauce its salty flavour.
Once you start cooking the Pad See Ew things move pretty fast so you'll want to have everything prepared in advance, as follows:
Stir fry preparation
- Mince garlic
- Break eggs into a jug and whisk until egg and yolk well combined
- Slice broccoli/broccolini lengthways along the stalk
- Chop chicken/soy chicken into cubes
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a jug and mix until sugar dissolved.
- Remove about 1/3 (approx 300g) of noodle sheets from the block.
- Slice lengthways along the block to make 1.5 - 2cm wide strips.
- Never boil or soak in hot water. To separate the strands, rinse under running warm to hot water until the block begins to soften, and then gently tease the strands apart and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over very high heat.
- Stir-fry minced garlic until brown.
- Add chicken/soy chicken and stir fry until chicken begins to brown.
- Add broccoli and stir fry until broccoli wilts and chicken is well-cooked.
- Add spinach leaves and stir fry until wilted.
- Push stir fried ingredients to one side of the wok, then pour egg mixture into the empty half of the wok. Swish the egg in the wok to scramble it as it cooks.
- Mix the scrambled egg back through the rest of the stir fried chicken/vegetables until all well combined in the wok.
- Set the stirfried egg, vegetables and chicken aside.
- Reheat the wok, and add 1 Tbsp of oil until sizzling.
- Add the rice noodles and sauce mixture. Stir fry over very high heat for about 15 seconds, flipping the noodles with a pair of spatulas. The noodles will break up a bit, but try to avoid breaking them too much.
- Add the stir fried vegetables, chicken and egg mixture back into the wok and toss with the noodles until well combined.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.