Irish stew with a twist of rendang
Or is it a rendang curry with a twist of Irish stew? In any case, this wholesome meal with spicy overtones is a family favourite of ours. Perfect for a cold winter night.
- 1 Sachet Indofood Rendang Instant Seasoning Mix
- 400ml Kara Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbsp Pattu Crushed Ginger & Garlic
- 1 Medium Brown Onion*
- 3 - 4 Medium Potatoes*
- 1 Medium Tomato*
- 2 Carrots*
- 1 - 1.5kg Blade Steak (or other good stewing/casserole cut) Diced
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Cooking Oil
- Salt & Pepper to season
* We have fresh vegetables including these varieties, and more, fresh in store every Wednesday & Friday.
- Roughly chop all vegetables in bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and garlic & ginger paste and stir-fry until brown.
- Add contents of Indofood Rendang Sachet (use 1/2 for a milder flavour) and diced tomato. Stir-fry until aromatic. Deglaze the pan with a little water if necessary.
- Add steak and stir-fry until browned.
- Transfer contents of pan to the slow cooker and add the vegetables.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato paste, salt & pepper (season to taste), and top up with water to cover steak and vegetables.
- Simmer slowly for at least 3 - 4 hours until meat and vegetables are tender. Stirring occasionally.
Serve over steamed jasmine rice, or on a bed of mashed potato.